AFP NYC offers a variety of valuable member benefits to help you further your fundraising career.
Director of Advancement
Director of Advancement
Position: Director of Advancement
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Last Updated: February 2017
Hope for New York (HFNY) mobilizes volunteer and financial resources to organizations serving the poor and marginalized in New York City. Our vision is a city in which individuals and communities experience spiritual, personal, social and economic well-being through the demonstration of Christ’s love.
HFNY is entering a pivotal time of significant growth and seeks an energetic, self-motivated, results oriented, strategic, and highly relational individual to lead its fundraising and development activities. The Director of Advancement will 1) spearhead all development activities, setting HFNY’s fundraising strategy to increase annual revenue by 50% over next 2 years, 2) develop and lead the major gifts strategy, and 3) provide leadership to the rest of the staff and board with the vision and resources needed to achieve goals.
The Director is part of the HFNY Leadership Team and will help inform the overall strategic direction of the organization.
● Work with Board of Directors and CEO to develop and lead inventive, innovative, and
comprehensive strategic annual fundraising plan that will enable HFNY to meet aggressive
fundraising goals over the next three years
● Oversee all fundraising campaigns and appeals, including annual fund, recurring giving program, annual campaigns, and major events
● Lead research and analysis of potential new revenue sources and partnerships
● Measure campaign results and develop analytical reports on progress against financial goals
● Work with Director of Communications to design and implement all marketing materials related to development campaigns and events
● Meet prospective and current donors on a continual basis to establish on-going relationships
● Own and cultivate portfolio of 100+ major donors ($5,000 and above)
● Create strategy to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward new major donors
● Create, implement, and monitor a fully articulated prospective donor pipeline
● Oversee HFNY’s Young Supporters Committee
● Oversee Development team for all donor services and donor processing including receipting and
acknowledgements, data collection, and analyses
● Track funds secured through appeals, events, and individuals
● Work with Director of Operations to optimize processes and databases related to donors
Management and Supervision
● Participate in regular Leadership Team meetings and provide leadership throughout organization
● Supervise development team, providing feedback and management through regular meetings
● Conduct annual performance reviews for direct reports
KEY JOB RELATIONSHIPS
● Chief Executive Officer: Meet weekly to provide status reports on donor impact, ongoing support
● Board of Directors: Meet monthly to provide guidance on major donor relationships
● Executive & Donor Assistant: Meet weekly to provide supervision
● Director of Communications: Collaborate on content and vision for fundraising communications
● Donors: Cultivate and manage major donor relationships
● Deep commitment to serving the poor and marginalized
● 10+ years of professional experience required, prior donor relations experience preferred
● Results driven and outcomes focused individual
● Proven ability to build strong relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
● Proven ability to reach aggressive fundraising goals for a growing organization
● Self-starter, quick learner; able to work independently, thrives under pressure and takes on difficult
challenges in a fast-paced setting; ability to meet deadlines
● Ability to develop organization-wide fund development strategic plans with proven tactics
● Experience analyzing and reporting on fund development campaigns and activities
● Superb communication skills (oral and written); Effectively represent HFNY externally
● Resourceful and strategic problem-solving ability; takes initiative with solutions
● Strong project management skills; ability to take an idea from concept to completion
● High level of professionalism, maturity and integrity; maintaining tact, discretion and diplomacy with internal and external stakeholders
● Flexible and adaptable; open to feedback and improvement with positive and humble attitude
● Experience with Salesforce, email marketing, social media channels strongly preferred
● Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred
The preceding job description has been designed to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employee within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of the employee(s) assigned to this job. Other duties may be added, or this job description amended at any time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the principal duties satisfactorily.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the principal duties of the job, except where to do so would cause an undue hardship on Hope for New York’s business operations.
Employment at Hope for New York is at-will, which means that either the employee or Hope for New York can terminate the employment relationship at any time, for any reason, with or without cause or notice.
Nothing in this Job Description should be construed to diminish the at-will employment relationship in any manner.
Hope for New York
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Location City:
Job Location State:
Job Location Zip:
Job Website URL:
Job Contact Email: