AFP NYC offers a variety of valuable member benefits to help you further your fundraising career.
Major Gifts Officer
The mission of Jazz at Lincoln Center is to entertain, enrich and expand a global community for Jazz through performance, education and advocacy. We believe Jazz is a metaphor for Democracy. Because jazz is improvisational, it celebrates personal freedom and encourages individual expression. Because jazz is swinging, it dedicates that freedom to finding and maintaining common ground with others. Because jazz is rooted in the blues, it inspires us to face adversity with persistent optimism.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for actively driving the Development Department’s fundraising efforts with a focus on individual donors and major gifts (over $25,000) as well as running JALC’s high level membership programs, the Patrons Program and the Chairman’s Circle. The Major Gifts Officer will also collaborate with the Director of Institutional Giving, the Special Events team, Vice President of Development and members of the Marketing Department.
- Work closely with the Director of Individual Giving and Vice President for Development to assist in devising a pipelinefor cultivating, soliciting and stewarding new donors for high-level patron groups and major gifts from the New York City and national community of high net worth individuals.
- As a front line fundraiser, work directly with JALC donors and prospects to increase annual giving with a strong focus on gifts from $25,000- $100,000.
- Build strong relationships with the Education and Concerts & Touring staff to understand their work and funding priorities in order to effectively communicate with donors about those projects and solicit and steward restricted major gifts.
- Manage the operations of the Patrons Program and Chairman’s Circles, overseeing the tasks associated with each group, including acquisition and renewal cycles, the execution of cultivation events, and correspondence.
- Work with Chairman’s Circle Board leadership to broaden the reach of the program.
- Coordinate the Chairman’s Circle Leadership Committee (a group of active and engaged volunteers) to deepen stakeholder engagement in the organization and acquire new members.
- In partnership with the Director of Individual Giving, develop and execute strategies for meeting JALC’s long-term fundraising objectives from individuals.
- Provide oversight for best practices in donor record management and reporting and maintain accurate, financial records for the department.
- Work with Special Events staff to develop and implement strategies to maximize donor participation in special events and ensure timely, appropriate follow-up for cultivation activities.
- Oversee regular donor communication via written and electronic correspondence, ensuring all outreach is relevant, timely and professionally executed.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned development professional who enjoys working with a team in a fast paced work environment. The candidate is well organized and a personable professional with strong initiative and great communication skills. A willingness to work as part of a team and respond quickly to changing dynamics is also necessary for success.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of fundraising experience with individual donors.
- Demonstrated success in managing donors and/or Board members.
- Excellent judgment and motivation to work independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to identify, and cultivate major donors.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to gather, synthesize and analyze data.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects with frequent and specific deadlines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, proficiency with email, internet and research databases.
- Experience with Tessitura and Wordfly software highly desirable.
- Knowledge of or keen interest in and appreciation of jazz and jazz culture helpful.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends as required.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation time, medical, dental and deferred compensation plans. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include Major Gifts Officer in the subject line. Jazz at Lincoln Center is an equal opportunity employer.