Volunteer for the New York City Chapter of AFP
The New York City Chapter of AFP welcomes volunteers. At present, the Chapter committees or Task Forces listed below have vacancies. Volunteering on and/or leading a Chapter committee or task force is a benefit of membership. All volunteers need to be dues-paying members in good standing.
Please fill out the form below and we will contact you shortly about volunteering opportunities. Thank you!
Current Volunteering Opportunities
Communications Committee: Communicates the activities of the chapter to its members and to the general public. This includes social media and developing content for the chapter newsletter, which is published electronically. The committee is also responsible for the chapter’s dedicated website, http://www.nycafp.org. The website provides the latest information about chapter events and issues, as well as fundraising tips and links to many useful resources. Volunteers are needed to write articles.
Diversity & Inclusion Committee: Adopt, monitor and promote a diversity and inclusion plan to achieve a genuine, sustainable diverse and inclusive environment within the AFP-NYC, throughout its leadership, membership and activities. The Chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee will recruit member volunteers to work together to help ensure that AFP-NYC programs are inclusive and supportive of diversity-related issues and concerns. The Committee will work closely with other AFP-NYC committees (Professional Advancement, Communications, Committee on Directorship, etc.) to ensure that diversity and inclusion are considered when developing programs and communicating to the membership.
Governance Relations and Ethics Committee: Coordinates New York State AFP chapters’ responses to changes in regulation and legislation affecting fundraising in New York State and collaborates with other organizations involved in shaping public policy affecting the independent sector. The Committee also oversees the chapter’s strategic planning process and evaluates the chapter’s own governance policies and procedures against the standards set for non-profits by The Better Business Bureau Charitable Accountability Program and other groups. Members must have experience with strategic planning and/or public policy. You must be an AFP member to serve on this committee.
- Member Services Committee: Develops and implements strategies to identify and recruit new members and retain existing ones; Conducts outreach to prospective members by mail, e-mail, phone and in person at Fundraising Day in New York and at other chapter events; Plans programs to benefit chapter members; You must be an AFP member to serve on this committee.
- Mentoring Committee: is responsible for the design, oversight and direction of the chapter's mentoring program. We recruit (mentors and mentees), market, match and monitor.
- Professional Advancement Committee: Plans, organizes, promotes, and evaluates the chapter’s year-round professional advancement programs at Scandinavia House (other than Fund Raising Day in NY and National Philanthropy Day).
- Sponsorship Committee: Seeks enthusiastic members for recruiting of Chapter sponsors, alliances and in-kind partners (venues and services) through campaigns and personal solicitation. Committee develops and publishes the annual sponsorship brochure, incentives and benefits. Liaise with other Chapter committees to secure sponsorship needs
- Young Professionals Committee: The purpose of the Young Professionals Committee is to create a strong community of young professionals within the NYC Chapter of AFP and the philanthropic and non-profit community in the greater New York City area, providing professional development, networking opportunities and cultivating a deeper sense of engagement within the Chapter and its activities.
- National Philanthropy Day: Plans and organizes the November National Philanthropy Day Luncheon, presenting a prominent philanthropist as a key speaker and providing nonprofits with the opportunity to honor a special individual (or organization) who has made significant contributions as a donor, board member, or volunteer. The NPD committee needs chapter members who are enthusiastic about selling tables and sponsorships and help with promotion, arrangements, and program elements.
- Fundraising Day in NY (FRDNY): Plans and organizes the June full-day event at the Marriott Marquis for over 2,000 attendees. Volunteer opportunities include supporting career services, educational tracks (content, room monitors), day-of hospitality, social media support/communications.
Required information is marked with an asterisk (*).
Become A Member
AFP NYC offers a variety of valuable member benefits to help you further your fundraising career.